« May 2005 | Main | July 2005 »

June 29, 2005

Blueprint for a Hero

Click
for full size.

I've always been fascincated by mythology and The Journey of the Hero.

A good exploration of The Journey of the Hero and its use in the works of George Lucas can be found here.

Campbell's contribution was to take this idea of archetypes and use it to map out the common underlying structure behind religion and myth. He proposed this idea in The Hero With a Thousand Faces, which provides examples from cultures throughout history and all over the world. Campbell eloquently argues that all stories are fundamentally the same story, which he named the "Hero's Journey," or the "monomyth." This sounds like a simple idea, but it suggests an incredible ramification, which Campbell summed up with his adage "All religions are true, but none are literal." That is, he concluded that all religions are really containers for the same essential truth, and the trick is to avoid mistaking the wrappings for the diamond.

Posted by lorigrace at 09:29 PM | Comments (2)

June 27, 2005

Heroes WIP

Here's more Blueprint of a Hero work-in-progress.

Posted by lorigrace at 09:13 PM | Comments (1)

June 26, 2005

Heroes Draft

I have a dilemma here. The topic this week is Heroes. Which immediately brought to my mind Joseph Campbell's Journey of the Hero. Two movies that particularly illustrate this are the Wizard of Oz and the original Star Wars. I started with that concept. And some Joseph Campbell quotes. The first rough draft of the collage after assembling some basic images for manipulation looked like this:

I have two different things going on here: the Blueprint idea and the doorway idea. I don't think I can unite them well. The follow your bliss quote is too wordy for all the visual elements. I think it and the door should be a separate illo. Let's sleep on it and see what comes up.

Posted by lorigrace at 07:50 AM | Comments (0)

June 19, 2005

Black & White

Click

for full size. Just plain old Photoshop manipulation of photos.

Posted by lorigrace at 11:55 AM | Comments (4)

June 12, 2005

Summer

Click image
for full size.

There's nothing like the beginning of summer vacation for a child. Everything is possible, no school, no homework, just fun, fun, fun.

This was begun in Painter IX. I chose a picture of DS for the expression on his face to draw. I wanted to keep it a simple line drawing. I drew the watermelon slice in a separate group of layers. I drew a circle on a separate layer. I outlined the corona with the lasso. In photoshop, I added the text using a font called Pepita.

Posted by lorigrace at 08:03 AM | Comments (3)

June 07, 2005

Digital Still Life

Click for Larger Size

The two ceramic pieces in this digital still life are key knick-knacks of mine. On the right is a black typewriter business card holder. It represents the first “keyboard” in my life--the one on which I taught myself to touch type. The broken manual Royal portable belonged to my mother. I whined enough to get her to seek out a typewriter repair place. I was fascinated with the mechanism of the keys striking the platen, how it physically shifted upwards to make upper case letters, and the fact that the ribbon had both black and red ink. The keys tops were flat, and you “threw” the carriage to change lines. There was no number 1, so you had to remember to the use the letter l.

The business card resting in it is for The Quote Maven website which was the website I created in a few years back that began life as a class project for an accelerated webmaster certificate course I took at the Illinois Institute of Technology. The quote on it reads: “All truly wise thoughts have been thought already thousands of times, but to make them truly ours, we must think them over again honestly, until they take root in our personal experience.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

The second ceramic piece is a small computer box. I bought it—and its twin sitting on my husband’s desk—in a shop in Galena, Illinois. It was the first present I bought him. Inside I placed a glass candy piece. He was my “computer sweetie” since we met via the Internet on Matchmaker.com.

My husband recently gave me the iRiver on the right—an mp3 player for my daily commute downtown. Back in my walking to work days, I used to make mood mix tapes for my Walkman. I have a huge (now obsolete) record and CD collection.. An mp3 player makes it so easy to change songs at the drop of a mood.

My Wacom tablet is a new addition to my digital tool box. I began drawing as a kid. My mother was an artist. When I expressed the desire to be able to draw realistic people, she began to teach me about drawing the human form with the “muscles and bones” lectures. The first graphics package I used on a computer was Corel Draw, in conjunction with Venture Publisher to create newsletters. I’ve graduated on to Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop.

The cordless phone completes the still life, although I could have easily used the cell phone. Naturally, I started with a snapshot from my digital camera. I did a clone in Painter and then sketched the main items. I used various brushes to bring in some color. I cut the face of the iRiver from the photo. The only splash of color in this gray digital arrangement was the red border on the business card. I brought in some yellow for sunshine. I sketched the items all on a single layer—in retrospect, I might have had more flexibility to rearrange the items.

Posted by lorigrace at 07:39 PM | Comments (1)